Dev team has given an awesome new year gift to all iPhone 3G users by releasing much awaited software, yellowsn0w. One month back, Apple team released new firmware 2.2 for iPhone, but there was no unlocking software available for iPhone 3G. Many iPhone 3G users had to wait for Dev Team’s unlocking software so that they can update their iPhones to firmware 2.2.
As Dev team said on their blog, this software unlock works with baseband 02.28.00, which comes with latest firmware 2.2. To update your iPhone 3G, you should have latest version of iTunes and QuickPwn.You can download them from following links.
Download QuickPwn 2.2 for Windows and Mac
[We've removed the downloadable links from our site due to policy violation issues. Sorry for the inconvenience.]
Here’s a quick tutorial to unlock iPhone 3G Firmware 2.2.
Before we move ahead with tutorial, please upgrade your iPhone 3G to firmware 2.2 i.e. 02.28.00 baseband modem firmware. Another important thing is your iPhone must have jailbroken with QuickPwn.
Firstly, you will need to install yellowsnOw. Follow the given steps.
- Open Cydia installer from iPhone.
- Select ‘Manage’ from bottom and select ‘Sources’.
- Go to ‘Edit’, press ‘Add’ option from left top.
- Insert this URL [http://apt9.yellowsn0w.com/] and select ‘Add Source’
- Press ‘Return to Cydia’.
- Now select ‘Done’ from right top.
If everything goes smoothly, you should see yellowsn0w package in Cydia. Now, get ready to unlock iPhone 3G firmware with yellowsnOw.
- Launch Cydia again and select http://apt9.yellowsn0w.com/ from ‘Entered by User’.
- Select yellowsnOw from the list of packages and install it.
- After successful completion of installation process, select ‘Return to Cydia’.
- Restart iPhone using ‘Power’ button.
- Voila! Your iPhone 3G is unlocked.
If you find any problem with yellowsnOw, you can uninstall it or try to remove it from Cydia and reboot iPhone. After that you’ll have service with locked carrier. Still have problem with it? Well, just mention it in the comment section below and we will try to find a solution.
Enjoy your iPhone 3G with firmware 2.2. Cheers!
Update: Dev team has released Yellowsn0w 0.9.1 Beta. You can download it from following links using Cydia and Installer respectively.
Cydia source: http://apt9.yellowsn0w.com/
Installer Repo: http://i.yellowsn0w.com/
Use this tutorial at your own risk. We will not be responsible for any damage of your iPhone. YellowsnOw is in beta and available for non-commercial use. Hence, it may or may not work on your iPhone.